- Stroke Prevention and Atrial Fibrillation Research Group
- Monitoring and Diagnosis (MaDOx) Research Group
- Chronic Kidney Disease Group Research Group
- Hypertension Research Group
- Does provision of lifetime risk information influence future self-management behaviour in type 2 diabetes? Research Project
- Can remote support for COPD patients following pulmonary rehabilitation support engagement with treatment to improve mood? Research Project
- Self-managing higher blood pressure after childbirth (SNAP-HT) Research Project
- Underpinning Technology Research Project
- What are the factors related to the adoption of technology-based approaches to self-management in the NHS? Research Project
I am a Professor of Primary Care Research and a GP. My research interests include cardiovascular disease and its prevention, particularly the management of hypertension in primary care. I currently lead programmes of research around self-monitoring of blood pressure in both hypertension and pregnancy and welcome students wishing to base projects in these areas.
MA PhD MBBS FRCGP FRCP
Professor of Primary Care
- General Practitioner
- Dean of Welfare and Fellow, Green Templeton College
My research interests lie mainly in the prevention of cardiovascular disease with particular emphasis on blood pressure measurement and the management of hypertension in primary care.
I hold an NIHR Professorship and lead a programme of research around self-monitoring of blood pressure in hypertension and pregnancy. I lead the self-management theme of the NIHR Oxford CLAHRC.
I supervise PhD/DPhil students undertaking projects in hypertension and blood pressure monitoring in pregnancy.
I chair the Blood Pressure Monitoring Working Party of the British Hypertension Society. I am Guardian of the RCGP Cardiovascular Curriculum and provide expert advice to NICE (member of 2011 Hypertension Guideline Development Group), Department of Health and the European Society of Cardiology.